Today is a big day, with three coinciding celebrations all at once. World Book Day is a celebration of authors, books, and most importantly, reading. According to their website, it is “the biggest celebration of its kind, designated by UNESCO as a worldwide celebration of books and reading, and marked in over 100 countries all over the world.” There are many events happening in honor of the day, including a two-day readathon of Don Quixote.
Spanish language day was created to celebrate multiculturalism and multilingualism, while English language day aims to increase awareness of the history of English and falls on the birthday (and day of death) of William Shakespeare.
Books In Spanish
1. Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes
2. The City of Marvels by Eduardo Mendoza
3. Ficciones by Jorge Luis Borges
4. The Savage Detectives by Roberto Bolano
5. The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende
6. Feast of the Goat by Mario Vargas Llosa
7. One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
8. Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel
9. Waiting for Snow in Havana by Carlos Eire
10. In the Time of Butterflies by Julia Alvarez