The Hub, from Empowering Writers, is a one-stop shop for teachers looking to improve student writing and administrators interested in developing a common, effective approach to writing throughout their school or district. Featuring professional development resources, digital teaching tools, how-to videos, and direct-to-student content, The Hub leverages years of professional instructional coaching experience to deliver pragmatic guidance for teachers as they work to develop students’ writing skills.
The Hub’s teacher background videos offer foundational information on all genres of writing to inform and improve instruction, while modeled lessons from actual classrooms demonstrate skills as they’re taught, offering Hub users real-world insights into lesson content management. Coaching segments provide overviews along with pacing and troubleshooting tips on all aspects of writing instruction from Empowering Writers Master Teachers.
The Hub offers access to all of Empowering Writers’ teacher manuals, including:
- Dozens of lessons for all genres, including argument, expository, narrative, opinion, and response-to-text;
- Scaffolded lessons on specific writing skills;
- Lesson plans with step-by-step instructions and expected outcomes;
- Mentor texts for annotation and analysis;
- Strategies to help students break writing down into a series of smaller, manageable steps;
- Effective modeling through scripted lessons;
- Tools for differentiating instruction;
- Suggestions and resources to help apply writing skills across the curriculum; and
- Teaching resources for grammar, mechanics, and punctuation.
The direct-to-student content available in The Hub offers virtual field trips to introduce students to topics along with background information and vocabulary, Skill Power! slideshows for clear whole-class instruction, and animated video lessons to present the main skills of narrative and expository writing. www.empoweringwriters.com/